Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Lizzy - ARC Review [ 1 7 5 ] : Kill the boy band by Goldy Moldavsky


Title: Kill the Boy Band
Author: by Goldy Moldavsky
Publisher: Scholastic
Publication date: February 23rd, 2016
Pages: ----
Source: For review via Around The World Book Tours
GOODREADS
Just know from the start that it wasn't supposed to go like this.

All we wanted was to get near them. That's why we got a room in the hotel where they were staying.

We were not planning to kidnap one of them. Especially not the most useless one.

And we were definitely not planning on what happened next.

Follows a group of girls who, “accidentally kidnap their least-favorite member of their most favorite boy band."

Fangirls get a bad rap all the time – people say we’re weird, hysterical, obsessed, certifiable. But those people don’t understand.

Just because we were fangirls, doesn’t mean we were crazy. It’s important you know that up front. Because everything I’m about to tell you is going to seem . . . well, crazy.

From thrilling new talent Goldy Moldavsky comes a pitch-black, hilarious take on modern fandom and the badass girls who have the power to make—or break— the people we call “celebrities.”

In one sentence: A crazy, funny, unexpectedly enjoyable fan-girl ride!

Long Version: I ended up really enjoying KILL THE BOY BAND and the story way more than I was actually expecting. Normally I don't read fan girl stories because they are pretty cray and too obsessive? While there was definitely the crazy aspect in this book, there was also a lot of other elements that make this book particularly less crazy and more well rounded than most.

This book follows the events of one day in which a group of four friends: Isabel, Apple, Erin, and Sloane ; end up with a member of there favorite boy band. The story is told from Sloane's POV and she seemed like the most down to earth one, while the rest of her friends varying through different levels of obsession with the boy band.

SOMEONE DIES. I mean it's in the title, so you can expect that to be part of the story but really what I liked was that at the start, there is no one dead, which kind of makes you wonder : how will this person die? When? Where? Who did it? In that aspect it had an air or mystery but I didn't feel it to be the most important aspect.

All of the characters I liked except for Rubert P, or the useless member of THE RUBERTS, who was a complete DOUCHBAG. There were points I thought maybe he'll be nice or something but NOPE. In his situation I can kinda see why he wouldn't be to happy but really there was no stop to him. Which made what happens to him easier to handle.

One thing I didn't expect to find was romance. I liked that it was nicely put in a way that actually rounded out the story and the characters and wasn't so outrageously forced. I loved how the book was written and the HUMOR! I really had fun reading this. It was full of witty retorts, funny scenes, and ridiculously crazy events. I looked like a fool grinning to myself on the bus.

One of the things that I didn't like was that Sloane, even though she was pretty tame compared to the rest, she had a few opportunities to escape the situation. She even acted on leaving but then stayed. The girls also did some pretty mean and evil things to a certain member. Then the ending was again pretty anti-climatic. We learn who the killer is and I was definitely surprised. But in the end no one believes a fan girl and nothing happens, the killer is not even investigated...and life moves on.

There is definitely ups and downs but overall I did enjoy the book. The fan girl aspect was way more on the crazy-ridiculous side, I loved the writing, and the smidgen of romance we get. I wouldn't buy the book when it comes out but I will definitely be getting it from the Library to re-read and will be looking forward to more books by this author. Wish i could say more BUT it doesn't come out until FEBRUARY 2016!! @_@ I don't want to spoil it too much ;)

THAT'S IT! WHAT DID YOU THINK? HAVE YOU HEARD OF KILL THE BOY BAND? SOUND LIKE SOMETHING YOU'LL READ?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there! Thanks for stopping by. U know what would make me smile? a Comment.